Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Split pea soup & more....

I am SO excited!  I made split pea soup last night dinner.  I've never made it before, and it turned out great!
  EVERYONE went back for seconds.  youngest DS even told me I needed to make it again for dinner tonight.  yeah!  

Here's the recipe:
2 cups dried split peas (1 pound)
2 quarts water
1 ham bone (you can substitute 1 lb. ham shank or ham hocks for the ham bone)
1 cup minced celery
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 sprig of parsley (I used dry)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

heat peas and water to boiling; boil gently 2 minutes.  Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.

Add remaining ingredients.  heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until peas are very
 soft.  

Remove bone; trim meat from bone and add to soup.  If desired thin with milk or water.  Season to taste.

Here are some tips I learned, PAY ATTENTION!!
--I did step one great, and intended to put it in the crock pot to simmer that 3 hour stint because I had a bunch of other things to do.  Well, I got it in the crock pot and FORGOT to pl
ug it in!  Duh!  Luckily DH called and said he would be later for dinner.  Perfect timing, I simmered it on
 the stove top and got it done in time.  Had leftover dinner rolls from Sunday and that was it!  Yeah for EASY!
Okay, now for the more part.  The books I'm making for my kids' teachers are almost completed, (just
 waiting for a couple of pages from DD class--she's in charge of distributing and collecting and assembling
 her book)  Here are the examples: **they are SUPER simple!  I wanted it to be about the kids**
The pages I created on my computer, the paper is from the May kit at Scrapbook Circle.  Each student's picture was taken and printed out at 2" x 3".  The each book measure at 5" x 7".
supplies used:
pattern paper: Fancy Pants
flowers: Bazzill, prima
jewels: Michaels
Letters: Cricut opposites attract
bind-it-all

**I forgot to mention that each of the kids in the class will be adding their own page to the book**

I'm really pleased with how they have turned out and the fact that my kids have been part of the process.  Need to run for now, thanks for stopping by today!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I wish my family would eat split pea soup, it sounds like a yummy recipe! And the books for the teachers are a great idea. Are all the kids in the class adding to it or just your kids?

emelyn said...

This is a great idea!! I'm sure the teachers will love it, esp since each child has put their heart into making it!!