Sunday, June 7, 2015

Cinnamon Rolls

I love cinnamon rolls--I couldn't find the recipe I use online so I looked for a pretty picture of what my cinnamon rolls look like (we always eat them to fast to take a picture!)
I have been using this recipe since I was a teenager-it's from an OLD betty crocker cookbook from the 50's:

Cinnamon Rolls:
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1/2 Cup warm water
1 1/2 Cup lukewarm milk (if I don't have cow's milk I have used almond milk)
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
6 Cup all purpose flour (I like to use bread flour but have used all purpose)

1/2 cup butter or one stick softened (to be used for filling)
brown sugar to taste
cinnamon to taste
nuts (pecans are my favorite but I have used walnuts)

instructions:
In electric mixer dissolve yeast with sugar in warm milk/water.  Let sit for 3 or so minutes until bubbly-stir in salt, eggs, shortening and 2 1/2 cups flour.  Beat until smooth.  Mix in enough flour to make the dough easy to handle.

Place kneaded dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until double--about an hour. (dough is ready if impression remains when touched.)

Punch dough down--roll into a rectangle, spread with softened butter.  Top with brown sugar, cinnamon and desired nuts.  For my brown sugar I like it to really cover my dough--I make it thick enough that you can't see through it.  I then sprinkle on my cinnamon--don't get heavy handed but you want that delicious flavor too!  Roll it up and then cut into slices--they say 15 I honestly never count.  Place slightly apart in a greased baking pan--I like a jelly roll pan (slightly smaller than a cookie pan)  Let rise until double (45 minutes-1hour)  Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 degree oven.

*my convection microwave is able to do proofing (gives a little heat and air circulation) this helps your dough to rise faster--it tastes the same but you don't have all the waiting around!

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!!

1 comment:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

My faves!!!!!!!!!!! YUM!