Thursday, July 7, 2011

Capri Sun Lunch bags....

I don't know about you, but it seems like I have to buy a lunch bag EVERY school year, and really I don't like spending $5-$10 on something that really isn't that cute anyway!  Anyway, in my search for something else I came across THIS tutorial for capri sun lunch bags!  I went a step further than what they said BECAUSE the bags that you buy at the store are insulated and I send frozen juice to school to keep their food cold....what to do?  I researched and found this stuff called Insul-bright, they actually sell it at Joann's. With this information I bought a yard of it (a yard is a ton, but as I don't have a clue how to sew that sounded like a good # to start with!)  So if you are going to be doing this you will need 48 bags not the 24 they suggest....



Now for the collection of Capri Sun bags!  I happened to come up with this idea at the end of the school year, very convenient as there were quiet a few parties going on.  I just asked the teachers to collect them for me!  My boys were excited to be in charge and reminded their classmates to not throw them away.













bag #1 front and inside.



bag #2 front and closure



bag #3 front and inside.
some  things I learned on my "experiment":
1.  rinse all the bags thoroughly let them dry--it does take 3 days.
2.  make sure that you have a heavier gage needle.
3. you will want some goo-gone as the straw plastic leaves sticky residue.
4. don't cut you insulation as large as the front of your bag, leave about 2" so that it will fold over.
5. the lined inside should be silver so that you don't have to remove all the sticky it will help the insulation not move.  (the first bag I had the front facing out, so I had to remove all the sticky, that mean I was STICKY!  my fingers were all stuck together--it was gross.)
6. Be patient!! :)

I really did have fun making these bags and I feel like the last one was the best, only because by that time I knew what I was doing!

today my daughter and I are creating other things, hers has to do with can pulls, and mine?  Capri suns....don't want to spoil it!  :)  Thanks for checking in--hope you have a FABULOUS day!

6 comments:

sarah said...

what a fabulous idea!!! :)

hugs,
sarah.

Rebecca Keppel said...

what a great way to reduce reuse recycle!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

How AWESOME!! I just loveeeeeeeeeee this!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Elizabeth said...

Now that's crafty!!!
e.

Unknown said...

What a fun project!

Diane Payne said...

How fun is that?! It turned out great!